Interracial marriage was legally accepted in America about 50 years ago. Since then, about 9 million people across the country have married a person who belongs to a different race. Some of them are popular. Here is a list of some of the most famous interracial couples.
1. Mildred and Richard – They fell in love during 1950s and had to face several issues because interracial marriages were not legally accepted within the country by that time. On 11th July 1958, they were asleep and three armed officers burst into the room. Then they were taken into the jail and both of them were remanded for some time. They took it to the courts during 1963 and their case played a significant role behind the approval of interracial marriages within the country. Therefore, almost all the interracial couples in the modern world appreciate their efforts taken at that time while facing a wide range of difficulties from law and the society.
2. Sir Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams Khama – These two individuals played a significant role behind the approval of interracial marriages within Europe. These two met each other when they were attending a law school in England. Sir Seretse Khama was the first President of Botswana and since he got the opportunity to contribute a lot towards interracial relationships after that. On the other hand, Ruth is recognized as the first politically active lady to contribute towards interracial relationships within Europe.
3. Louis Gregory and Louisa Matthew – Louis Gregory was an American and Louisa Matthew was a British lady. They met each other on a pilgrimage tour during the year 1911. Their love was not accepted by the public at that time. They moved to United States after falling in love with each other and had to face a wide range of political and social issues. However, they married each other in 1912 at New York and became the first interracial couple to marry in United States. Then these two worked hard to establish racial unity within the country.
4. James Achilles Kirkpatrick and Khair un-Nissa – In a country like India, interracial marriages are not even accepted at now. However, James Achilles Kirkpatrick and Khair un-Nissa fell in love with each other about 200 years ago. James Kirkpatrick was a European diplomat and he came to India for his professional duties. Later he gave up his European habits and adapted according to the Indian culture. Later he converted into Islam so that he can easily marry his love and they can be considered as the first famous interracial couple in India.
5. Bill de Blasio and Chirlane McCray – The newly elected mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, can be considered as the very first mayor in United States to have a black spouse. This clearly shows the acceptance of interracial marriages within the country. In fact, people celebrate this as a significant milestone and they think that this relationship would combat against the racism issues that prevail in the country.